@LJAPhotography

Talking Boxing

Interviews, opinions, features and news from the greatest sport in the world!

December 1, 2016

The wheels keep turning

Enzo Maccarinelli

Martin Gethin's boxing travels could take him to Spain in February

by Shaun Brown

Martin Gethin’s boxing career had new life breathed into it last weekend at the Wembley Arena in London.
  
After stepping in to take the fight on the Monday before, Gethin (28-8-1, 12 KOs) was given little hope by of causing an upset against John Wayne Hibbert (17-5 11 KOs). Gethin was (2-2) in his previous four fights, including a third round loss to Adam Little in September. His last meaningful win coming against Ben Murphy three years ago for the vacant British lightweight title.

What followed during Hibbert v Gethin was four rounds of unapologetic violence as both men went back and forth with the kind of shots that make you shudder.

It was bloody, mainly thanks to Hibbert’s broken nose, brutal and quite the unexpected treat for those watching. With a broken nose and a broken heart, Hibbert was put down to the canvas thanks to a chilling finish from one of boxing’s road warriors.

“I’d heard about Hibbert. I knew he was a tough, good opponent,” said Gethin when looking back on his 28th professional win.

“He did catch me with some decent shots. I don’t know myself if I get hurt! I’m just literally like a train, unless they can take me out with a certain shot I’ll keep going. If it don’t hurt, I won’t stop.

“I was [just] looking forward to fighting again. I was thinking beforehand that it would be nice to get another fight before Christmas, but it’d be a bit too soon.

“Everyone knows I’m not a ticket seller. I have to go the hard way and go away from home. I thought it’d be too hard to get a fight before Christmas. That thought was going through my mind and then bang, that [phone call] happened on Monday. That’s why I jumped at it. I thought, 'I’ve got nothing to lose'.”

The week before Gethin had been involved in a four round fight against Liam Richards in Walsall. It blew the cobwebs off for the 33-year-old.

“I’d been going through a bad state in my career, struggling whether I need to carry on or not,” Gethin admitted.

Gethin told Talking Boxing that the injuries he continually suffered (such as those to his eardrums) were beginning to annoy and frustrate him. But he couldn’t say yes to walking away from the sport. He’s always around it. This includes, along with his brother Darren, teaching kids at their Wild Star Boxing Gym in Walsall.

“We train the kids, [and] train with them as well. Do a circuit with them or do running with them. Always keeping fit. There’s been thoughts for the last few months thinking it’s coming to an end. It’s too hard [to quit].”

Gethin could now find himself travelling to Spain to make the first defence of his title sometime in February, according to his team. It would be Gethin’s second pro fight overseas. His first taking place nine years ago in Las Vegas on a Friday night show before the small matter of Floyd Mayweather v Ricky Hatton 24 hours later.

“I’m happy to keep going. I’m not picking names. If it gets me another good win, another title, I'll go wherever it is. If my trainer’s happy with it, I’m happy with it," said Gethin.